Print Page

      Board Minutes - Newcomers 
and Friends

 

          Board Meeting Minutes:  June 7, 2017

President Nalini Amin called the meeting to order at 1:05 pm with 20 members present.  She thanked the Board for the installation skit at the May Luncheon.  She very much enjoyed all the festivities.  Then she shared a lovely letter from Marcie Gorham to the Board (which had been forwarded to  Shirley Birnholz) regarding  the events at the installation luncheon.  Marcie gave accolades to the creators and participants in the presentation.

Vice President:  Donna Cerna - nothing to report.

Secretary:  Maggie Blanchard was away on a cruise.  Sonja Ley read the minutes of the May 3, 2017 Board meeting which were approved.

Treasurer:  Majorie Potechin was out of town.  On her behalf Kay Moioffer gave the year end report, also the report of last month's income and expense, and the new Proposed Budget for 2017-2018 was distributed.  Copies of the reports are attached to these minutes.  After discussion of various aspects of the reports, they were approved.

Luncheons:  Milly Ginsburgh reported that there were 57 reservations for the June 8th  luncheon at Piccola Trattoria.  The July luncheon will be at Black Angus with the following:  bread and butter, salad, baked potato with choice of grilled prawns, prime rib, or teriyaki chicken and includes beverages and a dessert (probably their freshly baked chocolate chip cookies).  The cost is $21.50.  After discussion, a motion was made and passed that the membership would pay $22.00 per person.  A patriotic theme and red, white and blue color scheme will be used.  Continuing, the August luncheon is being developed.  A committee will meet to set up the luncheons for the rest of the year. 

Membership:  Janice Weiner reported that the Club now has 180 members.  She is currently working on the New Membership/Address Book.  A discussion ensued on non-member participation in Club activities.  It was concluded that no more than 3 luncheon attendances in one year were permitted.

Web Mistress:  Barri Boren reported that submissions to the Web are due prior to July 10th.  Barri then explained the timing of submissions and the actual publication of information.  In this category, Donna Cerna stated that she creates the CALENDAR OF EVENTS for the website.  There followed a discussion of the publication of members' telephone numbers for purposes of contact information for games, etc.  Also, the Club website address will be published in the new Member Directory.

Activities:  Pat Oguss  - First, Monday, July 31 at Noon the "Julia Child" presentation will take place at the home of Pat Oguss.

Next Pat needs members to act as instructors for the following suggested additional activities: 

                        Craft groups

                        Sewing Group

                         Walking Group

                         LA Fitness Group

                         Water Aerobics

Those who are interested could meet at Pat's house on either June 26th or July 6th at 1:00 pm.

Discussion was held on the foregoing subjects.  Carol Costin volunteered that the new members could get started with Mexican Train and Bunco.  Also Marjorie Usury, a new member,  is interested in a Sewing Group.  A Sewing Craft Group was approved.  Pat Oguss will help develop and send an email blast with the information.

Recruitment:  Luana Law  reported 20 people at IHOP with 7 potential member and 6 joined.  Luana gave permission to publish her telephone number as the contact person for the Coffee Corner.  She has been contacted by interested persons from the SIGNAL newspaper and from the Newsletter on our website.  The next Coffee will be at Lilly's on Lyons - 10 am on Thursday, June 15th.  Janice Weiner (Membership Chair) volunteered that the Coffees groups are smaller and potential new members like the opportunity to meet and talk to people.  The Luncheons are too big for that introductory purpose.

Auditor:  Mikki Garside - The audit of the books is complete and all was in order.

Birthdays:  Sonja Ley  The $5.00 gift certificates continue to be well received.  It is the consensus of the Board that this project continue.

Explorers:  Absent Geri Benne and Kathi Giddens - Donna Cerna announced on their behalf:  The "Vino Train" event is July 8th.

Historian:  Kathi Studden and Barbara Ferone (Photographer) - Barbara Ferone will not take photos.  A photographer is necessary to take photos and send them to Kathi Studden.  Kay Moioffer suggested a committee be established to take photos of each event.  This suggestion will be brought up at the luncheon requesting volunteers to form such a photo committee.

Hostesses:  Jeanine Boren will purchase cardstock for additional name badges.

Luncheons combined with Programs:  Milly Ginsburgh - Luncheon on July 13th at Black Angus will be a patriotic theme of red/white/blue - members encouraged to wear combination of those colors, or wear a solid color.  There will be a contest with 3 categories:  a) Elegant; b) Patriotic and c) Whimsical.  There will be judges and the winners will receive a $15 Gift Card from Trader Joe's.

The August Luncheon Program will be the New Member Recognition (Jodie Baker - New Member Liaison and Luncheon Decorations) and a possible Opera presentation by Professor Kimberlyn  Jones.

NotePresident Nalini Amin will be away for the August Luncheon.

September 14th Program will feature a talk by a physician.

October 12th will be a Coco Channel impersonator with fashion show (models will be our members) - Jodie Baker will coordinate the event - she needs 14 models and 8 gentlemen to escort the models....the attendees will be encouraged to wear outfits featuring Black and White.  The models will walk to some music - and no commentary will be made from the podium.  The cost will be $100 and lunch for the impersonater.

November 9th will be the Tablescapes.

December will bring in the holiday music - singers and musicians.

January will be the traditional AUCTION.

Reservations:  Mikki Garside - 57 reservations for June 8th Luncheon.

Parliamentarian:  Alyce Kesselman - absent -No report.

Publicity:  Gwen Halstead - There is a Newcomers article in the Wednesday June 7th

SIGNAL.

Opportunity Drawing:  Carla Lewis - she will be away in July - her job is covered.

Social - Diane Millikin - June 29th -- 1:00 to 3:00pm Ice Cream Social at Diane's house.

Sunshine:  Kitty Zimmerman - No report.

Old Business:  No old business

New Business:  Discussion that there are no minutes of the March 2017 Election Meeting which took place at the March Luncheon.  The bank holding the Newcomers' account needs a copy of the election of the New Board of Directors.  The Secretary is directed to take Minutes of the Election at the next Election Meeting in March 2018.

Meeting adjourned at 2:45 pm

Respectfully submitted,

Sonja Ley on behalf of Maggie Blanchard, Secretary

 

 

 

Website Builder